To become a DOT Qualified SAP the following must be met:
One of the following credentials must be held:
- Licensed physician (Doctor of Medicine or Osteopathy)
- Licensed or certified social worker
- Licensed or certified psychologist
- Licensed or certified employee assistance professional
- State-licensed or certified marriage and family therapist
- Credentialed SUD Counselor by a DOT approved organization listed here.
Complete a qualification training. A list of all programs can be found here.
Pass a written examination covering the DOT SAP knowledge areas. A list of all DOT approved examinations can be found here.